Open Work Opportunities
Land of Medicine Buddha (LMB) is a Tibetan Buddhist center located in Soquel, California. We support the transformation of spiritual teachings into experience through active study programs, group rentals, and contemplative retreat. We also offer people the meditative tools to recognize the nature of their minds and achieve their highest potential for the benefit of all. As a spiritual community serving the needs of practitioners in all traditions, we are nurtured by the vision of our founder Lama Thubten Yeshe and our Spiritual Director Lama Zopa Rinpoche as well as by the blessings of the many amazing teachers who have visited LMB, the holy objects found at LMB, and the beauty of our 108-acre forested property. LMB is affiliated with the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT, Inc.), an international network of over 160 centers.
Spiritual Program Coordinator
- Reports to: The Board of Directors
- Position Status: Full-time hourly employee
- Work Status: Must be legally able to work in the United States
Overview: We are seeking an energetic creative individual with skills to design and produce a comprehensive program of study (including FPMT standard education programs), a practice program including meditation and rituals, universal education programs, community outreach, special festival events, and interfaith activities. The Spiritual Program Coordinator works in conjunction with the Executive Director and/or Center Administrative Manager and the teachers-in-residence to carry out the various activities. The ideal candidate will be a service-minded person who values harmony and who can live and work in an active environment of a variety of visitors, guests, spiritual practitioners, and staff members.
The Spiritual Program Coordinator assumes responsibility for the following:
- Work cooperatively with the Executive Director and/or Center Administrative Manager and the teachers-in-residence on the planning of the spiritual program calendar as per FPMT guidelines and the needs and wishes of the students of LMB. Support the mission, programs and spiritual teachers of LMB and the FPMT. Follow the five Buddhist lay precepts* while taking part in LMB-related work.
- Create events in Event Manager.
- Create registration worksheets and maintain registration throughout the registration period for the event.
- Monitor the SPC email and respond to questions and/or forward emails to appropriate point person.
- Reserve space for Spiritual Program events and monitor Facility Rental calendars to ensure there are not conflicts.
- Create set-up sheets for residential Spiritual Program events.
- Collect data from incoming guests and transmit to Kitchen and Operations as the event nears.
- Coordinate appropriate translation with members of Chinese, Vietnamese and other cross-cultural communities.
- Attendance at weekly Team Meetings to further coordinate details of events with LMB Operations staff.
- Set-up for the actual event with the assistance of Operations staff and/or volunteers.
- Visiting Teachers – assist Executive Director and/or Administrative Manager and Spiritual Program Team in travel arrangements for visiting teachers, manage the schedule while visiting teachers are onsite, assist in providing comfortable accommodations and food for visiting teachers and their attendants.
Pujas – Schedule with appropriate leaders and arrange for suitable space, suitable offerings, and event scheduling.
Facility Management – arrange proper equipment, assure facility is clean and prepared for event, prepare altar set-ups, interface with Operations staff to provide for adequate parking; manage tech aspect of hybrid programs.
Availability of materials – ensure appropriate materials are available for events and work with Chinese, Vietnamese, and other cross-cultural communities on translations.
Quality control – attend all events (or assist in finding someone to attend) to monitor quality of teachings and how they are being received.
- In coordination with the Executive Director or Center Administrative Manager, manage Spiritual Program Assistant and spiritual program volunteers. Train and monitor volunteers and Spiritual Program Assistant, bring any HR concerns and/or questions to the attention of the Executive Director or Center Administrative Manager.
- Schedule spiritual program staff and volunteers for adequate coverage for hospitality and management of events, distribute tasks and supervise work done by volunteers and Spiritual Program Assistant, maintain ongoing communication and support. Manage schedule within the spiritual program including class hosting, water bowl offerings, altar care, regular puja coverage, etc.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director/Center Administrative Manager to create an annual spiritual program budget and annual report of the spiritual program department.
- Organize and keep current a clear inventory of practice materials, ritual implements and care of said inventory.
- Oversee offerings for pujas and rituals.
- Familiarity with and appreciation for Buddhist philosophy.
- Devoted to or at least familiarity with and respect for LMB’s Spiritual Director Lama Zopa Rinpoche, and the FPMT organization.
- Ideally having completed the Kopan one-month course, and/or at least one FPMT education program, and/or the FPMT Foundation Service Seminar.
- Minimum of two years’ experience managing staff and volunteers to achieve organization goals.
- Capable of managing multiple projects and making short-term and immediate decisions to support robust program.
- Ability to interpret financial statements and maintain fiscal responsibility to keep within spiritual program budget.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to produce Constant Contact program announcements, social media and website updates and how to use tech to best promote LMB’s programming.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Gmail, Google drive, word processing and spreadsheets.
Compensation: This is a full-time hourly position offering a wage commensurate with experience that may include room and board. Affordable health care insurance is available through Covered California, the health insurance marketplace in California established under the Affordable Care Act.
How to Apply: We invite serious candidates to submit a letter of interest along with a resume or CV to by April 15, 2022. In your letter, please specifically address your qualifications and experiences as they relate to the job requirements listed above.
Land of Medicine Buddha is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.