Chokhor Duchen is one of the four annual holy days of Guru Shakyamuni Buddha. On these holy days, the power of any meritorious action is multiplied by 100 million, as taught in the Vinaya text Treasure of Quotations and Logic.
Known in English as “Turning the Wheel of Dharma,” Chokhor Duchen commemorates the anniversary of Guru Shakyamuni Buddha’s first teaching. It is said that for seven weeks after his enlightenment, the Buddha did not teach. Afterward, Indra and Brahma offered a Dharmachakra and a conch shell and requested Guru Shakyamuni Buddha to teach. Accepting, Guru Shakyamuni Buddha turned the wheel of Dharma for the first time at Sarnath by teaching the four noble truths.
Because we weren’t able to hold the annual Medicine Buddha Festival and because in our limited view it feels like what may benefit the world now is Medicine Buddha, we will be raising our giant Medicine Buddha thangka at the Wish Fulfilling Temple in the morning and Ven Steve will lead a Medicine Buddha Puja and give a short talk on the significance of it and Chokhor Duchen in the evening. During Ven Steve’s talk, we will show a video of the thangka being raised earlier in the day.
Participate in two ways:
- IN-PERSON: Come to the Center to view the giant, magnificent Medicine Buddha thangka and make offerings throughout the day from 10:30 am to 6 pm
Guidelines for attending in-person:
- Due to social distancing guidelines, we will not be hosting a gathering for the actual raising of the thangka, we will show a video of it during the online event later in the day.
- If you feel sick, PLEASE do not come to the Center.
- Please wear a mask and keep 6 ft distancing at all times.
- Please park in the lower lot and walk up to prevent excessive dust from soiling the thangka.
- VIRTUALLY: Join Ven Steve Carlier via Zoom at 6:30 pm when he gives an evening talk and leads the Medicine Buddha Puja
- Registration is required for the 6:30 pm teaching and Medicine Buddha Puja in order to receive the Zoom link. Please register and/or donate below.
- CLICK HERE to add names to the dedication list for this puja. You may make donations below.
***MB puja and teaching will occur virtually via Zoom***
The Zoom link will be sent via the confirmation email you will receive after registering.
About the Instructor
Venerable Steve Carlier (Thubten Sherab) was born in the UK and has been studying Buddhism since 1977. He first met Lama Yeshe, the founder of the FPMT, and Lama Zopa, its current head, in 1978. He was ordained as a Buddhist monk by Lama Zopa in 1979 and received full ordination from Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche the following year. He studied for eleven years at Nalanda Monastery in France, and from 1993 to 2004 was one of only a handful of Westerners who have followed the Nalanda (India) tradition of studies at Sera Monastery in India. Since 1978 he has been a student of the revered late abbot emeritus of Sera Je monastery, Geshe Jampa Tegchog. Eventually, he came to serve as this great master’s interpreter. He is currently at Land of Medicine Buddha, teaching Discovering Buddhism and the Basic Program.
|Date(s):||Thursday, July 23|
|Times:||6:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Instructor/Leader:||Venerable Steve Carlier|
|Type of event:||special event|
|Number of sessions:||1|
|Level:||Open to All|
|Location:||Online Via Zoom|
|Add to Google Calendar:|
Registration and Donations for Chokhor Duchen Celebration- Participate in two ways!
Online registration is now closed for this event.